Keep Rising Nature

2:50 PM Posted In , , , Edit This 0 Comments »
I wrote a poem and then broke up with it
The words cheated on me the way
God cheated Cain and said this isn’t good enough
I rewrote myself in red ink bubbling up from the ground
The sound of self-sacrifice pounding from my pen writing
sailboats and shotguns, weddings and funerals,
glasses of champagne and glasses smashed open

I woke up last night to the sound of the ocean
opened my eyes and felt the pulse of God
brushing cold against my feet,
his tears smeared across the sky
Echoed in the moonlight
The last I love you he ever wrote

You know, people forget God had a Daughter
We named her Nature she was so beautiful that we
beat her then raped her then permanently maimed her

There are days where I just want to stop breathing
Because my soul is heaving with the weight of
what the world has done.

I can’t stop grieving
For all that we’ve lost just so the cost
would go down and the profits rise
We’ve got our guns to the ground
And all we do is fire

Fire.
Fire.
Fire.

And that’s how my life feels right now.
Everywhere I go there’s another orange sign
Illuminating exit but none of them lead
Out of the building, just further into my mind
I’m choking on smoke and walking in circles

Questions like seeds get planted in my mind
they grow up like trees and move with the breeze
I am never free of the forests sprouting up
In my soul and all too quickly I get lost
Someone said to me my questions
are the digestion of guilt
Of all that’s gone wrong in this world

I want to quilt the earth a bandaid
made out of dedicated souls
And tell Nature she’ll be okay
Tell her to get up in the morning
Tell her that she’s got to keep going, keep rising
Because the tipping point will come
And there will be a day when it stops hurting

Keep rising nature, keep going
The time will come when we learn
That life is not about what you earn
It’s about what you do and who you do it with
It’s about who you love and what you give
It’s about hugs and kisses,
Birthday cards and farewell wishes, about getting
your hands dirty, about doing the dishes.

Life is not about sitting around.
Life is the verb that makes your blood pound
It’s about pouring your soul into the ground
and watching it rise up out of the earth
leaving the dirt behind as it blooms

I want to unravel the sky
And knit it back together
Stitch the sun so it shines
Through all the smog we’ve smeared
Across our horizons

I start crying when
I go outside and realize
I cannot see the stars
How far have we come?
We don’t even run from
Lightening.
Thunder.
Fire.

Our house is burning
But no one’s turning a head
To acknowledge the smoke we’re
choking on.

The elephant isn’t in the room
He’s stampeding down the hall
But all we can do is watch from afar
Pretending we don’t hear a thing.

Keep rising nature, keep going
For there will be a day when we realize
Life isn’t about dollar signs
It’s about the conversations that are
the constellations of your life
That steer your soul in directions
You never thought you could go.

Keep rising nature, Keep going
And I’ll do my part to start the revolution
So here I am to tell you the problem:

Life is about relationships
But all too often I see people
Praying in a church who’s steeple
Is an antenna
Watching the world rather than living in it

So go out and birth your church somewhere else
Give the keys to your kingdom away
And let today be the day when everyone is welcomed
And then invite them to stay as long as they like.

0 comments: