Just sit back...

8:13 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
I remember that night when I first emailed you. Before you were signed. Before anything big had ever really happened. We talked on the phone for hours, that first time.

Then, remember those first few nights when you were shaking on stage and your voice cracked at all the wrong times? You had to dance real hard to make it look like you weren't having a seizure. I still don't know how you didn't manage to drop the mic. Everyone was screaming. I wasn't there but you shared stories.

And then you were an explosion. Your face was everywhere, still is. The first time I heard you on the radio you were on the other end of the line. I was listening to you in double.

"Are you playing our stuff?"
"No, it's on the radio"
And our giggled excitement.

You sent a lot of dead end emails then. I emailed back exits for you.

Little escapes to nowhere.

But you started dating that girl and the emails are less frequent, if at all.

Now, the best conversations we have are you on the radio and me listening casually along with my friends who don't know any better, don't know anything. The stuff at your core is always the last layer revealed.

"This song is my favorite." They say. "I love it." But they don't know the eight different drafts you jammed through the line that one night at two in the morning, waking me from needed sleep.

Your word choice is wrong.
Your rhythm is off.

And you saying, you can't play a lick of guitar. you can't keep rhythm in your own stories. you can't can't can't.

But I could write a good line and you could keep a good beat and we really did make some beautiful music those nights on the telephone. You with your guitar playing a lick resembling the melody, me saying whatever came to mind.

Still, your favorite moment was always the pause in the track. The little space of infinity between one song and the next, where, for just a second, everything is perfect.

0 comments: