Curieuse / Week / Crazy

2:44 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
I am currently on Praslin (once again) after a few short but wonderful days on Curieuse Island and National Park where I spent my time helping out trying to build up the other GVI base. Mostly this involved schlepping things to and from the ranger station to "Our House" -- pretty much heaven.

Our house (on Cureiuse) is on a long sandy beach called Anse Jose and faces Praslin. The water is clear blue and the bottom sandy with an occasional rock which is a beacon for any sort of marine life.

How do you describe three wonderfully perfect days? I don't even know where to begin... First of all, Curieuse is both a terrestrial and a marine national park. Second of all, very few people get to stay there. Pretty much just the rangers, us, and the Giant Tortoises (who, by the way, love being scratched under the neck)...

We spent the days working, pulling apart a-frames, moving wood, and trying to escape the endless summer sun that was beating down upon us. Our nights were spent (mind you there were only six of us) playing Oh Hell and drinking beers and wine..l

The atmosphere was really peacefully and I have to say that it was by far my favorite part of the trip so far. I also did this pretty neat rock scramble / climb / boulder near the ranger station and got to the top of this really cool rock formation.

We snorkeled one day in supposedly shark infested water, despite the visibility being crap, the waves being huge, and well my enormous fear of sharks... Before we set off the rangers said "watch out, the monsoon weather has brought up the big ones..." but we weren't really sure if they were joking or not. At one point I got really far away from the group... In the past I would have bee-lined it for the nearest shore but now I was able to remain relatively calm. (Despite knowing there were, perhaps, 4 meter lemon sharks -- 4th most dangerous in the world -- swimming with or around or perhaps nowhere near me.

Curieuse is a pretty neat island. Besides the giant tortoises it used to be a Leper colony so there are a ton of abandoned buildings from the turn of the century. While it should feel creepy, I think its impossible for it to: especially when compared to the torn apart school ground that we're used to...

The most frustrating aspects have been the water shortages, the lack of anything decent to eat, and, well, the inescapable heat. It gets so muggy at night you feel like you are suffocating. I sleep next to the window and waited patiently for three hours before even a breath of wind came to cool me down.

On our way back today, the skies opened up and we got absolutely drenched. But so it goes... Now, I am in an internet cafe trying to get warm but failing at it. Curieuse was great and I think I have finally cured my fear of sharks...maybe...possibly...

Currently reading: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
Just Read: Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad....

Well its raining once again, my thoughts are scattered with all the mad dashing to-and-fro and trying to stay dry syndrome...

***

Note: I lost my cellphone over here. Whoops. My bad. (about time, isn't that what you are thinking?) So, sorry to my family but I don't know when I'll get to ringing you again...

And a late shout-out to Julie Blue for being awesome and watching my canary yellow upside down backpack.

Leigh Leigh, I can't believe you bought your wedding dress without me! Gah! Scary! Crazy! I want to see it!

Hearts, hugs, and all other things good.
- Sazz

P.s. for those of you interested, I will be getting into Boston at 11 am on August 5. Yeehaw.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the interesting posts. You know, fear of sharks isn't necessarily a bad thing.... And tortoises like to be scratched under the chin? LOL. -Dad