La Digue & Praslin (Le Weekend)

7:23 AM Edit This 2 Comments »
Wow! What a weekend full of adventure! La Digue and Praslin were absolutely incredible.

La Digue
It felt as though I stepped back in time... Ox cart taxis and only a few scattered trucks running about streets that were simply overtaken with bicycles (amazing). Everyone road bikes.

After settling into our guest house, we took out bicycles and literally road down every road possible. It was fantastic riding up and down hills and visiting beach after beach. We saw all the "post card" beaches that are famously displayed whenever you google image the Seychelles. We also had a simply marvelous time going around by bike. I missed having pedals beneath my feet! La Digue is a very small island and we covered it in an entire day. For lunch we had hamburgers on the beach followed by a snorkel and a book reading session. I saw a moray eel and a couple of surgeon fish...nothing too exciting though I did manage to snap a nice shot of the eel!

After, we continued our trip down the edge of the coast stopping here and there for pictures and to wipe away the heaps of sweat that layered on. (Disgusting). For the most part it was a very relaxed day...

The night we went to a restaurant overlooking Praslin and Curie use island and watched the sunset (beautiful) while drinking cocktails. The night sky unfolded as if an artist were painstakingly choosing just the right golden hues. Our night continued by watching the constellations unveil themselves...really just the southern cross and the big dipper (which I didn't know you could see in the southern hemisphere!).

All and all it was a lovely day!

Praslin
Before we left for Praslin we were treated to a very elegant breakfast of egg, toast, and fresh fruit juice. We walked back to the ferry terminal and on the way stopped to admire a farmers "new-age scare crows" which were these super creepy manikins looking at computers and playing with telephones. For some reason, it reminded me of Fahrenheit 451, though I am not quite sure why...

We then stopped and chatted with a local man who was selling souvenirs and I ended up walking away with necklace. The ferry ride back to Praslin was short but beautiful. The wind let-up so there were no waves and it was a smooth, peaceful ride.

We got to Praslin and randomly decided to rent a car because it was CHEAPER than taking a taxi to our first destination and gave us greater flexibility as well. Emma drove (props to her for handling left-lane) and I navigated. Raph and Sam provided their UK and Australlian wisdom throughout our journey...

Our first stop was Vallee de Mai, which had been my one goal on this trip as it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I cannot explain the happiness I felt at having done what I set out to do. We paid an outrageous park entrance fee and then hiked around for an hour and a half covering all of the parks trails. It was really exciting to be there and to see the Coco de Mer trees. While there was nothing truly "spectacular" about the site (I knew I would see the Coco De Mers on Curieuse when I go there on Wednesday for four days), there was something tremendously wonderful about having done what I set out to do -- and to simply see that the Seychellois recognize the importance of having something "unique" to their country and that it is worth protecting. This was, without a doubt, one of my favorite stops for the day.

We then drove up the coast and stopped at Le Monde Cafe and had wonderful sandwiches. I had the Praslin Club which was bacon, chicken, and fried egg -- basically amazing before continuing on our journey. We did as much "circumnavigation" as possible and drove as far as the roads would take us.

Our end destination was Anse Lazoir (sp?) the beach rated the number 1 beach in the world... It was amazing: Sand, waves, a few large granitic boulders, sailboats, and deep water.

I got in the water and didn't get out till it was time to go. The first part I spent snorkeling (though there wasn't really anything to see, except look for shells). The rest of it I spent body-surfing. I must have body-surfed for about 1.5 hours with Raph. It was incredible though you had to be careful not to lose your top and after every wave you had sand pretty much every-where.

On my second wave my feet literally went over my head and I washed all the way up the beach -- in short, it was amazing. We stayed at this marvelous place for the remainder of the afternoon until we had to catch our ferry home, back to Mahe. Our ride back was quite enjoyable as we got to have a sunset cruise...

Anyways that takes me to this very moment and I have to jet!

Have a good week everyone.
<3 class="blsp-spelling-error" id="SPELLING_ERROR_34">Sazz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome...
Your only a little below the equator (-4.5 lat?) so I'm not surprised you could see the big dipper, depending on it's orientation. Could you tell where the North Pole ought to be? See you soon, love, Dad

Leigh Stokey said...

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I keep thinking you are still in Thailand and wondering if you got to see that eclipse, but you are not there anymore.

Love you. See you in a few weeks!!

PS I bought my wedding dresss!!!