Resolutions

9:33 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
Strange how everyone feels that resolutions should be made on New Year's. I don't really understand why then as opposed to any other day of the year. They're all the same, sort of. Each day is a blank slate and just because one happens to mark the start of a new year doesn't make it any different. Resolutions should be an on-going process. Change should be constant in that ever struggle upwards. If you only insist upon changing once a year you're not going to get very far.

And if the resolutions you make are simply "work out" and "eat right" you're also not going to get very far. It's strange to me how people have the potential for so much personal growth and how few actually use that potential or even attempt to use that potential. We could all be our own Gandhi. We could all be our own Mother Teresa. But it isn't that simple which is why they are so highly revered. That type of selflessness and thoughtfulness is rare and isn't something that just happens. It's a continual process of self-evolution. Thoughtfulness, goodness they aren't thing that appear out of nowhere. It is certainly much easier to be bad than good, unaware than mindful. And I'm not saying we have to be Gandhi or Mother Teresa - I'm not implying that we have to become world renowned figures. What I'm saying is that we can aspire to live by similar moral standards.

If everyone behaved in a Gandhian fashion the world would certainly be a better place. War would be a thoughtful enterprise induced out of necessity and would not be war as we know it: it would be peaceful demonstrations and negotiations and would result in compromise rather than in bloodshed. Tolerance would flourish.

I honestly don't understand why it is so hard for large groups of people to get along. We're all just trying to live. I especially don't understand any wars fought in the name of religion and yet each of the major religions have fought either amongst themselves or with others over who is right. I'm sorry but a Holy War is an oxymoron and so is the idea that there can only be one true religion. But anyways, I suppose none of this matters insofar as that this is just my opinion.

And I am by no means in any way trying to say that I am like Gandhi or Mother Teresa. I'm not. I hope one day I can achieve a fraction of their goodness but I willingly acknowledge the fact that, currently, I am not as good a human being as I could potentially be.

Back to my original thought: Why is the notion of making resolutions only emphasized around New Years? Why do peoples resolutions always seem so - I don't know. It bothers me that no one ever promotes resolutions that would better ones "internal" self.

And also why, in all these talks about resolutions, does no one ever suggest that our resolutions rise above ourselves and perhaps apply to a larger group of people? Why can't a nation have a resolution - a goal that all its citizens should try and achieve? Of course the resolution would have to be carefully thought out but the two that come most to mind are reducing one's carbon dioxide emissions and recycling. Of course one would have to outline ways in which a citizen could do his part but I think you'd find that if you gave clear directions a majority of people would be willing to pitch in and do their part.

I suppose after going on and on about Resolutions I should perhaps post some of my own, but I must say that they are not resolutions so much as goals and expectations which I shall do my best to live by.
  1. Move outside my comfort zone on a regular basis; challenge yourself.
  2. Meet new people.
  3. Be healthy.
  4. Find a new hobby and then share it with someone else.
  5. If possible walk or use public transportation. Only drive when necessary.
  6. Read and write as often as possible.
  7. Be a positive and optimistic person; spread happiness.
  8. Always be kind, courteous, and polite.
  9. Learn something new.
  10. Exercise.
  11. Be yourself and love who you are; realize that at this moment you are the best you can be.
  12. Don't be so sensitive.
  13. Surround myself with positive influences.
  14. Be the change you want to see.
  15. Be more organized and responsible.
I could go on and on. There are many things I'm trying to improve in my life these are just the first few that come to mind. A lot of these things I already do but I don't do them as well as I could be doing them and some are things that I've just realized recently. Others are goals that I need to remind myself to do when I least like doing them (move outside my comfort zone). But at any rate I don't think resolutions are something you keep or break so much as aspire to achieve. I will not always be polite or responsible or positive but I think I have a certain obligation to myself and to those around me to aspire to be those things.

At any rate, I need to go take a shower.
xo

0 comments: