To My Poetry Workshop

9:01 AM Posted In , Edit This 2 Comments »
I want to write a happy poem and not be the only one doing it.

vent on.

I'm tired of a class where everyone comes in with their newly penned suicide. I want a poem that doesn't scream I want to die. I want a poem that screams, live! live! live! I don't want another poem about how your wrists are paintbrushes, all you need to do is cut them and let the masterpiece unfold. Let someone else find you in the bathroom your work unveiled. I want a poem about soccer games, singing in the rain, dinner parties and birthday cakes. The wish you made on your 7th birthday.

I want a poem that reminds you how much you want to live you forget you ever felt any pain. I am tired of reading your suicide notes. Your one night stands. You wrists cut like wedding bands the night after you find your husband cheating. I am tired of people saying I want out of this life. I'm tired of hearing that you want to die. Because so and so doesn't love you. I'm tired of the poems about drugs. I'm tired of the poems about sex. I'm tired of the poems with endings that leave me depressed. I want a poem to read that makes me feel inspired. Makes me freel on fire. Makes me want to go find a stranger and say, You should read this, It'll improve your day. I want a poem that doesn't scream I feel alone but scream here I am! Here I am! And we can all be together.

I want a poem that doesn't feel like a hundred days of shit weather. I want a day that feels like a volcano. Bursting forth with fire. I want to feel that alive when I read what's inside of your soul. I don't want the drum of your heart to be faintly pulsing, I want to hear it rushing. I'm tired of suicide. I'm tired of poems that are screaming for endings.

I want a poem written entirely with beginnings. I want poems that make me feel like I'm swimming inside of God. I want a poem that doesn't leave a stain on my heart but says, go on, do it, reach for the moon you'll find yourself there sooner or later but if you don't reach, you won't grab it.

I'm tired of suicides. I'm so tired of dead bodies lining up pages. I'm so tired of seeing your unashamed faces when you pen another one night stand. I'm so tired of seeing you feel so uninspired by the blood that's flowing through your veins.

So stop harping on sadness and start signing your name with hearts and stars. If that's what it takes to break your suicide streak than do it. Or sing yourself a song at the top of your lungs running down Columbus. I'm tired of living in a city of frowns.

I just want to see else somebody smile.
I'm tired of having to go back to the mirror and say,
Hey, put on your armor, put on your strong heart
Cause you have to go make ten thousands people day
Because they don't know how to do it themselves.

And yes, you may think that's selfish of me. But twist my words around and you'll see - all I really want is for you to be happy.

vent off.

2 comments:

Bob the Accountant said...

I couldn't stop thinking of 'Banana Pancakes' by Jack Johnson while reading this

Sarah said...

i don't see the connection.