Looped

1:37 PM Posted In Edit This 0 Comments »

Sometimes you have to loop around a time or two before you know where it is you are or where you're going. I'm on sleepy head thoughts. Haven't been awake all day, metaphorically speaking. Here's a rewrite. I'm revolving around something. Haven't nailed down my center yet.

Inside the Fish

People, places, and moments
Come and go from me.
One after another, after another,
Until the next comes then goes.

The smell of rosemary and ginger
(Always in the kitchen, always during winter),
The faces of strangers I remember from my youth,
The voice of the peddler out on Boylston Street,
The way I sign my name -- just
Like my sister.

Not knowing who I am or
Where to go. Whether or not
I should say hello
Or goodbye or
Nothing
At all.

My hair in my face,
The look my mother gave my father,
The way our dog barked and
The thumping of her tail on the cabinets.

My aunts and uncles and grandparents
And all those that came before and with and after.
And all those that you wanted to stay, but didn't.

The taste of fall in the morning.
The taste of toothpaste in the evening.
The taste of regret still staving off the snow.

The note he gave me, buried in my wallet.
The apology he skipped, still haunting onward.

That lack of finality. That empty coffin.
Not even a body left to cry over.
Not even bones left to hold.

0 comments: