Back in the Fray

8:25 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
They say the best way to live life is to throw yourself out there and constantly do things your afraid. Well, that's certainly true. This past week I've tried out for a play (didn't get in) but I had so much fun in the process. Not only did I realize that I actually have acting talent, I realized I possess something much more important: guts.

Sure, you may think, really? You had to ask yourself that? You traveled all the way around the world for goodness sakes! But the truth is, it's easy for me to be adventurous like that. When you arrive at a new destination, you don't know anyone and really, you have no way of embarrassing yourself and it's sort of expected that you'll break local customs once or twice. Locals tend to understand (within reason) and tend to want to engage with you despite your...well...mistakes.

Theatre people are different. This was one of the weirder experiences I have had too. I waited over two hours for my audition and was only able to successfully engage a few people in conversation. What's worse was when people learned I had "never really acted before" many (mainly those whose life revolves around it) sort of rebuffed me. Of course, the one or two other people who'd never tried out for a school play were quiet relieved at my admission.

But, long story short, I had a good time trying out for a play. Sure, I didn't really remember my lines right and yes, I was nervous as hell, but I still did it. I may not have walked away with a part but I walked away with something much more valuable: pride.

0 comments: