I want to ride my bicycle!

6:25 PM Edit This 1 Comment »
I had a good day today despite the fact that I hardly got any sleep. It started because I had a friend over and then I had a brilliant idea for my novel and had to write it down immediately. It finished with flashing lights and three arrests as some drunk homeless people were starting to fight and threaten one another down on my street.

I called the cops which had the immediate effect of more lights, more drama, more action and the long-term effect of adrenaline-rushing my system so that I couldn't sleep.

But come morning some four hours later, I dutifully got up and went to the Health Center for a check up. Then I biked to my friend Kevin's house in Alliston, MA and made the most fantastic banana bread ever and ate rice pudding. We also played a strategy game called abalone (good fun). After, we went on a bike ride around the city.

We rode along the esplinade which was nice as the boats were out and there was a full fall breeze flowing through the air so you never got too hot, but you never got too cold either. We stopped at the foot bridge going over storrow drive for awhile and waved to the motorists below. Some waved back. Some made goofy faces. Everyone who saw us smiled and I was amazed at how something so simple could be so satisfying to do.

After, we rode downtown and then to Copley where we got peaches from the farmer's market as we waited for critical mass. Critical Mass is a bike movement that happens in cities across the globe. On the last Friday of every month, bikers gather together and "take the streets" going on an hour long bike ride in which we proclaim that we, the bikers, have the right of way and too bad for you cars!

It's a lot of fun being able to ride in such a large group as it always draws a crowd. It's especially nice not having to worry about cars (though you do sometimes have to worry about other bikers!). We road throughout the city and made our way to Cambridge and Harvard square. I turned off then because I had to go to a pasta party for soccer.

basically, I road my bike for nearly 3 hours straight. It was pretty intense.

Right now, I'm waiting for my laundry to be done so I can go to bed. I have to be up at 5:15 because I have two soccer games tomorrow @ 9:30 and 11:30.

1 comments:

Lucy said...

What is the matter with Mary Jane?
She's perfectly well and she hasn't a pain,
And it's lovely rice pudding for dinner again!
What is the matter with Mary Jane?