10,000 word mark.

5:08 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Well I'm at the 10,000 word mark. It probably doesn't sound like a lot, but that's approximately 40 pages in a novel, if you figure the average page in a novel has about 250 words which is the standard most publishers go by.

Depending on the genre novels usually range between 80,000 words (short side for general non-fiction) to 115,000 words (science fiction/fantasy).

The good news is I've made it so far. The bad news is,  it's still a longggggg way to go. The novel I'm currently writing (ahem, trying to write) is a dystopian science fiction piece with the working title "The Story of Caroline Burke." I found that I've been reading a lot in this genre and figured I had a decent understanding it.

I think it's a genre that allows tremendous flexibility in terms of what you do with it. I particularly like that it typically tackles what it means to be human by (usually) showing the loss of that humanity or the loss of things we think make us human.

Anyways, I just wanted to share the news.

0 comments: