Time Flies

8:33 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
Sorry, it's been awhile. I haven't been feeling 100% so everything has been going a little slower than usual. Things here have been going quite well despite the lack of snow. Last week I took the old dogs out for a run all by myself which meant driving the truck and trailer. It wasn't as terrifying as I imagined it would be. In fact, it wasn't even difficult. Unfortunately, I couldn't report good news. The trail was in lousy shape and even with a 4 dog team slowing down on the ice was difficult.

So we are no longer using sleds. We've switched back to the ATV which is primarily used during fall training. The ATV has some advantages, I suppose. The main one being that you can stop on a dime. We do a different trail than if we use the sleds. Because the ATV can stop so easily, we go on a trail that cuts across a road that isn't used very often. We've passed cars 3 times. The look on the driver's face is always priceless. On Sunday, we ran into a woman who was out with her two dogs. One was a big puff ball of a dog who wasn't leashed and ran right at the team, but our dogs just kept truckin' along.

Last week we saw 3 dogs go . Turtle, Planck, and Ninilchik all moved on to new homes last week. Turtle had been running on my 6 dog team and I will definitely miss her even though she was a quiet dog who mostly kept to herself. I will miss Planck too despite the fact that he was a bit on the stupid side. I had a soft spot a mile long for him because he was such a playful, happy dog.

Over the weekend we made a long trek up to Greenville, ME where Lev was entered in a race. To get there took about 7 hours plus a stop or two for the dogs. The funny thing about stopping anywhere with a dog team is that people always come up and tell you there dog stories. It's nice.

There were 18 teams signed up for a 30 mile course. It was really exciting to go to a race that size. Although I'd been to two previous races, this race was different because there were more teams and more on the line (money). It was interesting seeing the different types of dogs and teams. There weren't many Siberian teams. I met some other mushers too which was nice.

Anyways, I'm tired again and I feel like I'm rambling.I just chopped up 100 pounds of meat for the dogs and I think I'm going to take a nap. Ciao.

0 comments: