The Big Apple

2:19 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Well. New York is B I G. I arrived here yesterday around 3:00 after driving through a lot of the city on the bus. I actually got in the city around 2:15 and was amazed at simply how far we had to drive through it to get to the Port Authority bus station. I had no idea. The tall buildings simply went on and on, like a thick concrete forest.

After I arrived I wandered around and stumbled upon Time Square. It must call out to tourists because I found it without even trying. The big lights simply called out to me, so I followed. The snow falling down was beautiful and I enjoyed seeing the landmark made famous in too many movies. Because of the weather, it was practically empty.

I didn't know that this was so unusual. After, I wandered into the M&M candy shop to indulge my sweet tooth and try out some different colored M&M's. Delicious. By this time I was pretty famished so I walkd into a random cafe and got a Tabasco Panini and a canoli. Both were far too big and far too tasty. The only downside was my back was starting to hurt from lugging my suitcase around so I hopped on the subway and headed to my Cousin Vicki's. It really couldn't have been easier.

We hung out until Zlatka got home. She brought her boss, Irene because of the weather. The four of us ordered sushi and hung out, talking about this that and the other. I was extremely tired because I hadn't slept well... Chena's stomach rumbled like a freight train. She slept right through it, occasionaly making dog noises, but I couldn't. Eventually I woke her up and gave her some kibble.

***

Today I went in with Zlatka and Irene to their work, which is right on Time Square. It was really cool seeing a production agency. Zlatka and I talked about her job and it sounded really interesting. I told her about my love affair with movie trailers (they are the best part of any film) and she said I should consider a career in television writing or producing. I've been reading up on it. Sounds like fun.

Her work place is A M A Z I N G. It's so spacious an airy -- a theme I found throughout the day on my tour of the city which really surprised me. There was a ton of open space and then offices were people could do video editing. The rooms get rented out, people don't work in them full time, to companies like ABC, NBC and CBS ect. ect. I then got to partake in fresh bagel Friday and took a soda from the fully stocked fridge before departing on my merry way.

I headed down Broadway into Time Square again which was noticeably even less crowded (if even possible). The snow was falling steady and everything seemed so peaceful. The snowplows were out in full force and I was very grateful that I had worn my rainboots even though they are hideously unstylish as well as my full rainsuit. Not exactly Ms. Fashion Queen.

I really enjoyed the wide spacious side walks as well as the intricacies of the buildings that flowed by me, one after another after another. There were all different types of architecture going on. New interspersed with old -- but not in a tacky, unsightly way. I splashed about in puddles in my boots and eventually found myself in Central Park. It was delightful walking through with all the fresh snow covering the ground and seeing mothers pulling their babies around on sleds.

Eventually I made it to 5th Avenue and walked back up towards where I came from, making detours in the Apple Store (so I could make a move in my online scrabble game) and FAO Shwartz because when I was in grade school all the kids used to talk about it. I figured I better see what all the hype was about from way back in the day. The giant stuffed animals were really cool. I felt like I was on a stuffed animal safari with all the lions, giraffes and camels.

After, I made my way along window shopping. Some of the dresses I saw were simply stunning. The manequins looked like they were wearing waterfalls of flowy white silk. Simply gorgeous. Like snow queens. It couldn't have been more fitting. Some of the other designs I thought were a little too ostentatios -- but then I've always preferred the simple.

Somehow I then made my way to grand central station where I was simply awed by the grandeur of the building. I went inside and felt so incredibly small beneath it's blue shaped roof. It's funny, but that roof reminded me a lot of what the Great Hall is supposed to look like in Harry Potter. It was covered with pictures of the twelve zodiac constellations. It was very humbling to be standing in the middle of something that was so incredibly large and filled with so many people. Everyone's voices and footsteps blended together so that we sounded much like a river flowing steadily downstream.

Then I walked to the Tudor buildings and the United Nations which was really cool. I enjoyed the subtle details of the buildings. I was rather surprised, however, that the UN wasn't flying any flags. I thought they always flew, but maybe they were taken down for the weather or maybe they are only flown when it is open... most places were shut today.

I also found this really cool building... I forget it's name , with ah uge botanical garden. I wanteed to go in (the public was allowed) but the building was closed. I took a pretty cool picture however of the plants in the garden and the reflection of the snow outside.

My final stop was the New York Public Library which was big, beautiful, and currently the film location for the show Gossip Girls. I stumbled accidentily onto the set (not literally onto the set,  just outside it) and watched as they filmed a beautiful ballroom scene. It was strange seeing so many people dressed up and dancing, but really entertaining to see the band play too. I'm curious to see the show now just so I can say "I saw that scene being shot!" I don't watch the show, nor have I ever seen it but Leigh and Kerri do.

Then I headed back to Zlatka's work... I was pretty tired and turned on the hockey game. They have a huge TV and watched as the USA scored 6 quick goals against Finland within the first 12 minutes of the first period. Talk about a slaughtering...

Anyways, I'm back at Vicki's now but I had a really exciting day in the city. I could definitely see myself living here, which is strange because I thought I'd find the city big and overhwleming. It is big, but the city planning is simply brilliant -- especially having to deal wiith Boston's smooshed side walks and odd layout. I dig the organization here.

Ok, nap time.

0 comments: