Day 11 / Group Project / Thai Music Concert

9:04 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
Breathe in.

Stars colliding right above your face is an incredible sensory overload and when combined with a twelve piece band makes for one hell of an interesting time. Thia Music Concerts are a little odd. Don't get me wrong, the music is amazing but the people just tend to sit there. It's pretty awkward because all you want to do is dance!

If you wait long enough, the alcohol sets in and then, at least in small parts of the crowd, you get this awkward swaying motion like seaweed plants underwater. The whole episode is rather bizarre. Especially because the technicolor lights they have going on you'd think would send someone into a dancing frenzy (or seizure!).

Listening was enjoyable but it was difficult to simply sit there. A good song makes you want to dance, not sit around and talk! The bar / club was also very interesting as on either side of the band were two huge screens playing football matches (soccer). It's strange how much respect they have for this sport.

Watching games still fills me with a strange sort of sadness. I haven't been not-playing for that long (two years?) and already it feels like a lifetime ago. I feel like such a different person. I don't regret my decision to stop playing, but I think if things had worked out differently within my career I would have chosen to continue on. I'm not sure. Not if I had done better, I realize now I was never that driven -- I was simply good, but I think if I had torn my ACL or something and been out for a few months I would have been able to bounce back into it. All heart. But for better or for worse my life didn't take that turn. I don't think any of it should really matter anymore. Still, it's strange giving up something so integral to who you've been all your life. I still feel exposed. Gah! Enough with reminiscing!!!

The end of the night also saw my first goodbye. Carole, who took me to the hospital and has been terribly kind throughout the trip, is heading out to lead her own gpact. Hopefully we will see more of her, but who knows.

Before we left we ran into Way, one of the girls who works behind the counter at Wipanan Mansion (our hotel). She is in love (literally) with Rachel (my roommate) and is most definitely stalking her. I asked the owner for directions to the place where we were going. I'm pretty sure Way didn't show up on accident... but who knows. I mean it must be sort of flattering?
The skies just opened up. It's nice hearing the rain erupt like applause every now and then in short, happy bursts...

My group project is coming along slowly but I think we are ahead of most of the other groups. I've posted some information on my project below though I suppose that doesn't give you much a feel for what we are doing.

My group is going to make a video to teach Thai students about safe sex because they don't typically get taught about it here. It's strange to think that because the subject is uncomfortable they are simply allowed to skip it, but that's what happens! Anyways we want to make a video which we can then reproduce and give to teachers and stuff throughout the community so than they don't have to teach. We will also have students from Rajabhat University come in and present the video and answer any questions. While there is probably a sex education video done in Thai, we have yet to find one -- though every Thai organization we have contacted so far hasn't been very helpful. Hopefully things will change with in the next few days.
Tomorrow I am going to a meditation class and am really looking forward to it. It will not be my first. I took a meditation class when I was in high school. Me and a bunch of sixty year old women...
What an odd life I lead.
And on that note,
Breath out.
***

sorry if this didn't make sense, I'm exhausted.

***
The below is a simple copy and paste job. Sorry, I will try to write more later.

Problem Statement
Thailand lacks adequate sex education resulting in unplanned pregnancies and a higher rate of sexually transmitted diseases. The main reason for this is that sex is an uncomfortable subject in Thai culture resulting in neither parents nor teachers taking responsibility in educating children about sex. Because of this, a new peer-led approach must be taken in teaching sex education rather than an authority-led approach.

Mission Statement
Our goal is to reduce the number of unplanned pregnancies and the number of sexually transmitted diseases. We do this by providing sex education to local schools and villages through peer-led video presentations. We believe that by reducing the number of unplanned pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases, we will improve the lives of individuals, families, and communities.

Short-Term
Our short-term goal is to create a network of individuals interested in helping alleviate the lack of sex education Thai students are receiving. To do this we plan on reaching out to similar organizations, schools, family planning clinics, and hospitals with the hopes of making an effective sex education video.

Medium-term goal
Our medium term goal is to educate the students of Nambram village on how to prevent pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases in a peer-led presentation and discussion and to inform them on where they can receive more information or treatment if needed.

Long-term goal
Our long term goal is to create a student group at Chiang Mai Rajabhat University that goes into classrooms and villages to give presentations on sex education and to answer any questions or concerns students, teachers, or parents may have.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah....sounds like the concert was just a little odd but fun...glad you got to experience it. I am really impressed with the focus of your project as it is such and important subject...especially for women. This knowledge, or lack of it, certainly changes lives. I hope you and your group change lives!!!love, Mom