So long Chiang Mai!

8:25 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
It was with a heavy heart we had to say goodbye to our Thai friends yesterday. After spending so much time together and working so hard on a project, it seems strange that we have to simply part ways -- but despite all the farewells, I am not sad. I am sure I will see most of their smiling faces again at some point in my life whether here or there or in between.

Yesterday morning we did our interview projects in which we talked about one of our Thai students lives and they talked about ours. My partner's name was Puy and she was very shy so I couldn't say a lot...everyone else had these long interesting tales but I simply states some facts.

She was born in Chiang Mai on December 22, 1988. She loves Thai music and Linkin Park (strangely, they are probably the most popular American band...). Her favorite dish is Tom-Fu-Yung Soup. She is terrified of snakes. Her mother works for wages. (I am not sure what that means in the slightest) She has four dogs (so lucky!) named Soda, Milo, Nine and Gee. She is a geo-informatics major and doesn't know what she wants to do with it. Someday she wants to travel to Japan and Korea. ect.ect. just that sort of thing...

Then she talked about my family history (which the interview was supposed to be about.) I could tell you my family history but I don't really feel like it. :P

After that, many of the Thai students had to go to class. Julie and I had a quick lunch at the Canteena for the last time with Nok and Game. I had chicken with rice. I used to be a very adventurous eater but over the last week I have noticed I am sticking to fried rice, pad-thai, and tom-yam. These meals also usually have entirely cooked vegetables none of which have to be "peeled." Apparently you can get very sick from fruit and vegetables that aren't peeled properly... At least that's what my doctor said at the hospital.

After, I went to buy some more Thai clothes. They have the coolest capris EVER. I wish I could get them in the States. They are this really loose fitting fabric that is billowy. It's like wearing a cloud.

Then I started packnig which was an absolute nightmare. I bought too much and am definitely giong to have to check an extra bag. Bummer. Whatever!

The Thai students came around 5 o'clock and we got ready for our farewell dinner. We went to the Imperial hotel and were given our own dining hall. The buffet was delicious and the atmosphere was excellent. Everyone enjoyed themselves.

We had a talent show at the end and because everyone was being lame and no one wanted to do it, I (of course) stepped up. I counted to 10 in Thai, though I can actually count to 999. Then I was quized on the numbers.

People were still shy after my lame talent. (I actually thought it was awesome!) Eventually some people went up. All the Thai students went up at one point and sang us this song that's meaning roughly translates to

"Though you will be gone, in our hearts we will always be together. Someday we will see each other again and everything will be the same. Know no matter how far apart the miles spread, we will always be together."

In response we sung (rather terribly I might add!) "Lean on Me." The biggest problem was that no one knew all the words so every know and then there would be this paniced look on everyone's faces as they tried to muffle through the song. When in doubt we just broke in to chorus.

Finally, after all was said and done a number of Thais and Americans went to the Monkey Club. Dance clubs in Thailand are a really good time. The DJ was pretty stellar, then a band came on, then the DJ went back to doing his thing. There was a mix of Thai and American music.

I still cannot get over how obsessed Thais are with Jason Mraz. Every time we have gone out and there has been a band, they have always covered his latest release. (I can't remember the title)

Then a bunch of Americans got ready to head South to Bangkok. I don't really have any interest in wandering around a big city (I supposed this is why I have never been to NYC) and am instead going to Chiang Rai with Haley, Paul, Tara, and Anne. Who knows what the heck we'll do. Though I am fairly certain part of it involves going to this famous White temple and another part involves going to the Golden Triangle.

I imagine I will be able to update my blog within the next three days or so though I really can't be sure. I am also unsure of how updates will work once I hit the Seychelles. Maybe once a week? At any rate, I will try to give you a "schedule" when I know more of what to expect.

All-in-all I would say if possible, you should all try and visit Chiang Mai someday. You can definietly tell it's on the opposite side of the world, but it still feels like home.

Miss You!

0 comments: