Day 16 / Red Tape / Disaster / Thai Government

10:32 PM Edit This 3 Comments »
The things that drive you crazy are always the little things. It's the Thai-time that all the Thai students run on. 1:00 pm? Sure no problem, they say, and then they show up at 2 pm. My Thai students almost completely quit yesterday. I can't really blame them. They are in classes full-time and most of their teachers will not excuse any absences.

When they are around, it's equally frusterating because of Thai-time, Thai customs, and their general lack of disinterest in our project. We finally got our Thai students cornered and decided to change tactics on our project. On Friday we are giong to teach a group of Freshmen about sex because apparently the freshman (and we think our groupmates?) are clueless about sex and safe sex. Scary! Then on Saturday we are going to a Buddhist holiday festival in Nantram village and handing out information sheets on contraception, safe sex, and local NGOs involved in HIV/AIDS testing and family planning. Saturday night we are taking the freshman we trained to hand out fliers to Thai students around Chiang Mai. After that we are going to celebrate and eat delicious Thai sweets!

Last night we all laid low and hung out. I called home which was nice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi...sounds like trying to mobilze a Stokey/Morrison canoe trip...how have the Thai students responded to your flyers and information sheets? Keep up the good work!
Love,MOM:)

Tia Debbie said...

Hi Sarah! I haven't been on in a while so it took me a bit to read everything. You sound great! Keep up the good work and I hope you spread the word about HIV/AIDS. It's sooo important. I hope you are photographing as much as you can....pictures say a thousand words. i love you and think of you often.. I even boast about you and your adventure whenever I can!! Such a proud Tia!
Love you!

Leigh Stokey said...

Hi Sarah Hi! I looooooove you!!!