Day 17 & 18 / Project Work / JJ Bar / Presentations Day 1 / Relaxing

1:03 AM Edit This 2 Comments »
The past two days seemed to have lasted a thousand years each...time slipped by so slowly. I wish I could recount everything accurately with all the apprehension and dread I felt two days ago about how our project was in shambles, but it miraculously came together today and I can't write about how worried I was because I'm simply escastic!

We had a woman from Family Planning Northern Thailand come to Rajabhat University and give a sex ed presentation to 36 freshmen (college) students who had never received it before. The woman who came in to give it was named Ban-ja-wan. She had the Thai students break into four groups and draw either a man or a woman. It was strange seeing our Thai peers (for they were all around 18 years old) be so shy about anatomy. They initially would not draw a penis on the man or boobs on the woman. When they finally did do that they quickly covered them up.

It was very different from the US where the whole thing is made into a joke. The Americans talked through a translator about how easily we talk about sex in our culture. In Thailand condoms are expensive and it is only appopropriate for men to buy them. We told the Thai students college students in the US can get them free pretty much anywhere... After the hey-day of that was over, Anne and I walked to the Mercur hotel and used their pool. Technically we aren't really supposed to do that, but we were hot, we just finished a good day, and the sun was shining!

I am now a little sunburnt and very well relaxed. I go back to work shortly to finish our project. Tomorrow we are handing out brochures about safe sex to a Village Festival and to Thai students at a popular hang out called the walking street.

Our Professors were really impressed with how well we pulled off our event. I think a lot of other groups are struggly but I think we really lucked out. We didn't get our speaker til yesterday at 3pm and she came today at 830 am. She was so wonderful!

Anyways I hope everyone is well. Thailand is still super amazing and I am having a good time with the Global Pact program.

I'd like to say hi to my family (including you Tia!) quickly. Thanks for all your love, support, and comments. I miss Scraggy Neck a lot -- esepcially sitting down at the beach or on Robin Too skipping around Buzzards Bay. I also miss sitting out on eel pond, listening to the hub-bub of Woods Hole from the sailboat as evening is setting in and all the tourists flock to the Phusion, the Kid, and Shuckers. I don't miss the creepy bell tower that stays lit all night long. (I'm not sure why I felt the need to share that)

I'd also like to say a hello to my friends. I'm not sure who of you are following this, but it means a lot to me. I hope summer on the Cape or in Boston is incredible. Take pictures for me!

I hope you all have the pleasure of coming to Chiang Mai soon!

Love,
Sarah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so happy to hear that things went well for you with your presentation. Good luck with the pamphlets...hope they are well received! Love...mom:)

Bob the Accountant said...

you're Cape shout-out made me very excited for my birthday/wedding of friends mom on the Cape in two weeks!

It always sounds like you're doing what you do best: have a boatload of fun and bring a bunch of people along for the ride. Come back soooooooooooooooooooooooon. We deserve some Sarah time as well!